Tuesday, September 6, 2011

911 Memories

A local newspaper has requested your memories of the day (September 11) in 200 WORDS OR LESS! This is my submission.

***********************************************************



It wasn’t my usual morning. I had to be in a dentist’s chair at nine instead of the office at eight.

When I arrived for my appointment, people were huddled by a radio. I couldn’t make out what the announcer said, but from the shocked faces, the news seemed dire.

The hygienist performed the fastest cleaning I’d ever experienced. During which, people came and gave her updates on the news. I then found out a plane crashed into one of the twin towers in New York. My mouth already agape, I gasped, and choked.

I stopped at my house for my portable TV (the year being prior to regular newsfeed on the web) and went to the office. I found out some of my co-workers had not heard, so I tuned to a local channel to watch the news with them.

A little after ten, my manager found a few folks standing around my desk watching TV, all with pale, shocked faces.

He asked what was going on. I told him two passenger jets had crashed into the Twin Towers in New York City and one collapsed. His response?

“I hope they have good insurance. Get to work.”

 ***********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment