Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness


Star Trek: Into Darkness

I’m an old Trekkie. By that I mean I’ve been around long enough to remember being totally bummed to learn the network wasn’t going to renew Star Trek. Yea, the original.

Gene Roddenberry has made a small mint for the production companies of all of the versions since then. I believe they’ve made more than the GNP for many small nations. I know I’ve contributed my fair share (and then some) to the effort. From all the movies in theaters; the VCR’s, the DVD’s, the Blu-Rays. I own them all. I loved them all. That being said...

Star Trek: Into Darkness was fantastic. The writing, the directing, the acting, the special effects all of it was breathtaking. But, for me, there were too many concessions to us 'old trekkies'. The first Star Trek movie with Chris Pine established a new timeline, a whole new history. So much more could have been done with this. Don’t get me wrong. I loved Kahn. Benedict Cumberbatch is no Ricardo Montalban, but he did well enough. I'm just hoping they come with some new story lines of their own for the next five year missions.

But it could just be an old Trekkie’s hope. Good Luck, Mr. Abrams.

No comments:

Post a Comment