Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Roller Coaster called Kindle



It’s here! Click the link to continue the saga...


And the compilation — The Trilogy of Thrills




    Originally, I created the lead character of the McShane Mini-Mystery Series, Summer Autumn McShane, as practice for the intricacies of self-publishing through kindle. What a roller-coaster. Hair-pulling frustration at its depth, and mind-spinning elation at its peak, the ride is not for the easily intimidated. No matter what the writer’s writing for writers writing say, it can be a real nightmare.
     As I said in my last post, I love to write. The newest wrinkle in a successful career, however, is the ability to also understand a certain level of computer programming. Oh, and marketing. We can't forget the marketing. And don't lose sight all of this is moot if you haven't the basic talent to tell a story people might find interesting enough to read (and hopefully, to pay for).
     I am self-taught. Never having taken a formal writing course may, or may not, be evident. Still, I have had lots of informal guidance from very learned sources (and tons of kudo’s).
     There are three books to the McShane series, and I’ve learned so much from them. I’ve even gone so far as to combine them, complete with inserted graphics, and upload the entire thing as The Trilogy of Thrills.
     Apparently the combo sent my kindle account into a tail spin. The next evening I checked my books, and the texts of the four books had gotten switched between the covers. I don’t want to know what kind of party the Amazon AI’s were having which resulted in that. Ignorance is bliss, and all.
     At a gathering of friends recently, I tried to explain all that I’ve been through with kindle. One acquaintance said, Oh, I thought you just wrote a book and handed it off to someone else to upload. *sigh*  Not a lot of people understand self-publishing.
     Anyway, I hope you’ll give in to the temptation and check out the links above. Ms. McShane has become so much more to me than practice. She has grown off the page and demanded to be heard. And I am having a blast learning from her.
     Enjoy the trilogy for a buck off through 3/3/2015. And as you read, imagine the fun I had until two a.m. clearing my head and un-clenching my stomach after a ride on the Roller Coaster Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment