Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thank you, Madam President

January 16, 2006 - "If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough." Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia, the first elected female head of state in Africa.

This was from her speech on her first election. She was re-elected in 2011.

How big are your dreams?  Are you frightened by the prospect of reaching them? I'll admit, I'm a little frightened of mine. Although, I hold no such dream as President Sirleaf's.

My dream is to be a successful author. Success is measured differently by different people, granted. My measurement is simply to be able to make my own living with my writing. Why does that scare me? Because of the fear I may reach a point where I have nothing left to write about. Nothing left to say.

Oh, and then there's the lack of a retirement plan. Meh.

But, with political leaders (and citizens) like this in the world, who champion the rights of others to their own peril, I imagine I'll at least stand up and cheer, even if I nothing to say that would add to their elegance.

Who's scared?

No comments:

Post a Comment