Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Take it down a notch


Maybe it’s time for me to grow up and put away my childish things (1 Cor. 13:11). I’m almost fifty-two, for crying out loud!

Birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas; all of these (and more) bring out the child in me. I even decorate my house for our sons birthday's, even though they're grown and gone. It’s a tradition that I get a kick out of.

As an adult, we are supposed to put aside our childish desire for dressing silly (Halloween), blowing out candles (Birthdays), eating (Thanksgiving), and opening presents (Christmas, of course). I haven’t. Maybe I just haven’t tried hard enough to be a grown up.

 I am a "little" high strung (Ha). It really comes out around the holidays. I've been told to "Take it down a notch" or "Simmer down, little teapot" or "Is it time to adjust your meds or mine?" Yeah, I get it. I do seem to be forcing it on others. If they don’t want to celebrate the day, I get bummed. Birthdays especially. I love birthdays, and I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t. Really. What’s the alternative to having a birthday? Having a funeral! So, why not celebrate the fact you’ve made it another year? But, not everyone thinks or feels the same as I do.

Politics, religion, money, these are differences of opinions I understand, but a difference on opinion for celebrating?

I’m at a loss.

Maybe I should try growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment